1000 NW 57th Court
6TH Floor
Miami, FL 33126

USDA VS Permit Applications

get a quote


About USDA Import Permits

The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) requires import permits for many animal and plant products.
Veterinary Services (VS) regulates the importation of animals and animal-derived materials to prevent the introduction of exotic animal and poultry diseases into the United States. Generally, a USDA veterinary science (VS) permit is needed for materials derived from animals or exposed to animal-source materials, including animal tissues, blood, cells or cell lines of livestock or poultry origin, as well as microorganisms including bacteria, viruses, protozoa, and fungi. Various other animal derived food products which require a permit include dairy products (except butter and cheese), and meat products (e.g., meat pies, prepared foods) from countries with livestock diseases exotic to the U.S.


Plant Protection and Quarantine (PPQ) safeguards agriculture and natural resources from animal and plant pests and noxious weeds, while supporting trade and exports of U.S. agricultural products. PPQ permits are required for the importation into and transit through the U.S. of specific plants and plant products for consumption or propagation, including seeds, fruits and vegetable.


Importers of food products that require a VS or PPQ permit must present the USDA import permit to Customs and Border Protection (CBP) in order for the importation to be allowed entry into the U.S.


FDA Solutions Group USDA Import Permit specialists will review your products to determine if a permit is necessary, and when necessary will prepare and submit the application on your behalf.